Monday 18 May 2009

The Road to Penang

This one's for you, Sal.....

We took a four hour bus journey today from KL to Penang, a small island off the west coast of Malaysia. The bus was the most luxurious journey I've ever taken and if they had buses like this in England, I would always be on them, whether I had somewhere to go or not....

The seats on the bus reclined at the touch of a button, and a footrest came out for our weary toes. In addition, a screen in the back of the seat in front offers a choice of music or movies for every nationality and Kate and I spent more time than was appropriate dancing and miming to Abba. Don't worry, I got it on video camera, and as soon as I can figure out a way to upload it, it's yours.

The people in Penang seem really friendly. We arrived at about 8ish and secured ourselves some lodgings in a place called The Blue Diamond, which was blasting out Dolly Parton from the frontyard cafe and bar as we entered. What more could you want? We have our own shower, here, but for Sally's sake I won't take a picture of it as it might traumatise her for life.

Sunset over Penang

Ang and I are currently sat in a small cafe called Stardust that offers free wifi to people like me who like to carry laptops everywhere they go. Kate has headed back to our hostel for a well-deserved rest. We've just gorged ourselves on noodles, rice, plenty of vegetables and some delicious spring rolls and I'm enjoying the first root beer of the trip. The joy of being allowed to smoke practically everywhere is overwhelmingly pleasurable.

As most of the day was spent staring from the window of the bus at jungle, jungle and more jungle, there's not much to report, but I'll leave you with the thought that today I used my first official hole-in-the-ground loo - a truly exciting experience that leaves me with only one question: once you spray, how do you dry? For your info, I'm going with the drip and shake method, but any tips are gratefully received. See mum, I didn't need a Shewee after all.....

The Kate on the bus goes Ha!Ha!Ha

3 comments:

  1. hey, jus read ur las 2 postings, untill then i hadnt reeli fort of wot u were doing and i suppose in a way it still felt like u were still in the uk, but then i read them and omg, it sounds sooooooooo brilliant, im very jeallous, i got a txt off matt sayin u had got there safe, mum woz upset coz she didnt get 1, lol, and i hav secured myself sum work for the summer, i will now be doing my old job on the bungee trampolines for the entire summer, did it this weekend jus gone and the boss sed he had missed me, lol, of, and hav also secured myself a free lunch wit ryan morgan, the ryan who took me clubbing, lol, so all in all life is good at the mo, oh, and ill probs be going bk to zurich for a month as well, but in a different part of the building, look forwrd to hearing more of ur adventures, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thought I'd let you know that it's not home but I'm making the most of it although she stops me from climbing on everything. It sounds like you are having a good time (from what my temp. carer has said) and it's purrfect for you. I'll email you later if she'll let me paw at the keys. Carry on enjoying yourself......oh, and tell Kate she looks like the cat that got the cream there - and I should know!
    Miss you xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helllloooooo! Missing you loads but soo happy you are having a fab time! I want to go to the caves (cry,cry,cry). It sounds amazing so far and i can't wait to see the HUGE slideshow upon your return. A little later than everyone else with the first post i know, but why change the habits of a lifetime eh...... Do you like my profile PIC? Great blog pics and writing so far sweetheart. Will post again once i have caught up with latest blog. xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete